Thursday, September 12, 2013

TBT to The First DATE

I was reading this marvelous blog, http://www.weandserendipity.com/p/about-us.html, and 
she talked about how she met her husband.  This got me thinking about how I met 
 my cute hubby and I thought I should write about it so that I never forget it!  So... whether or 
not anybody reads this ;), at least I'll have it here so I can always remember it.

It was my junior year in high school and I was sitting on the floor in the gym 
waiting for my volleyball class to start.  I noticed a new kid sitting on the bleachers putting his shoes on.
I didn't know him, but he was CUTE.
I didn't really think much of it.  As class went on, we were all put into teams and he was put
on to my team.  We started playing a game and he was TERRIBLE.  Like... the ball would come to
him and he would catch it.  I remember thinking getting bugged every time he would catch it and 
teasing him about it.  
Well, a few weeks went on.  I never really talked much to him, but we were acquaintances.
Then, I heard from one of my friends that he liked me!
I was sooo excited because he was very cute, but I was nervous.  I didn't 
really believe that friend and just went on with life.  Then I kept hearing from more people
that he was interested, so I decided I would ask him to the Sweetheart's Dance
that was coming up.  Meanwhile, we hardly spoke to each other.  We were pretty shy!
One night, we were all at our high school boys' basketball game, and Dave was there.
That is when I decided to ask him to the dance.
His cousin, Gina, helped me get to his house.  I remember trying to think of a cute way
to ask, but we had to be fast and get it done before he got home.
We got to his house and I threw Goldfish crackers all over the floor and
wrote 'Of all the fish in the sea, I choose you to go to Sweetheart's with me!' on a posterboard.
I don't remember where I put my name, but I guess he knew it was from me.

Fast forward a couple of nights (I think it was a week later, I don't remember),
I got off work and went home.  When I walked in the door, my parents said
that Dave had been there and told them to give me a box.  The box was lined with
tin foil and inside was a bunch of bologna.  It said 'I'd have to be full of bologna to go with you!'
....
I was SHOCKED! I went to my room and started calling his cousin to tell her
what a jerk this kid was.
Then... when I got to my room, I saw balloons and airheads all over.
There was a note that said,
'Duh, you airhead!  Of course I'll go with you!'
It was so cute and I was so relieved!!

Fast forward again to the dance.  Again, we hadn't talked much up to this point.
That whole shy thing again. ;)
We were in a very large group for the dance, so dinner was at a church.
Some of the moms made a spaghetti dinner and served us in the gym.
It was fun - there were tons of people there.
Then we went to the dance.  I don't remember much, but I do remember that
we were dancing to a hip hop song and he was getting into it, which made him
a lot more attractive :)
Then we went to a bounce house after.  We went on a slide together and as we bounced down,
I threw my hands up and hit him in the nose on accident!  His nose was bloody and he was in the bathroom
for a little while...so sad.
But he was fine and we ended up throwing a football back and forth and
bouncing at the same time.
This was another thing that made me like him more.  We had so much fun!

Then... the best part of the date.  We went to my friend's house and he was getting
a ride home from another one of the guys.  As I was going to my car, he walked with me and
stopped me.  He asked, 'Can I have a kiss?'
I said 'Yes' and he kissed me.
It was kinda dorky, but it was also AMAZING :)
I got in my car after and started FREAKING OUT.
He was so cute, and we had so much fun, and he kissed me.
Perfect Date.

This is a picture taken probably a
year ... maybe two after our first date,
but we were still in high school here.

Love this guy - I never want to forget how it started!


5 comments:

  1. This is such a cute post! I love your story! :) I should really do this, too, before I forget all the little details of how I met Jake. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! You guys are adorable. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No kidding. I like this idea. I might have to copy. I have a story about us on my blog but it's not in detail. I like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl! This is so freakin cute. I'm so glad my story inspired you to write about yours! I love high school sweetheart stories. They are the BEST. That picture, too! You'll treasure it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!!! Love this!
    Sweethearts is just the matchmaker dance! That's the only dance me and Brad went together to in high school.

    ReplyDelete