Saturday, September 27, 2014

I have lost my Half Marathon virginity

I did it!  I ran a half marathon. 

Today I ran in the Layton Half Marathon and it was... wet.  But it was also exhilarating!  I had a lot of fun, despite the bad weather.  My mom watched Livvy and Dave and I spent the night at a hotel in Layton so that I could be near the starting point.  I got up at 4:00 am this morning and started getting ready.  I slept pretty good, besides waking up randomly every two hours.  I knew there was LOTS of rain in the forecast, so I was planning on a wet run, but hoping for maybe just gray skies.  I got in the car to drive to the starting line and it was pouring.  At about 5:00 am, I ate my pre race breakfast; a granola bar, a banana, and a few sips of Gatorade.  I also had two Aleve at that time.

It was pitch black and raining as we rode the bus up to the starting point.  Everyone in the bus was dreading the run.  We were in the buses for 2 hours prior to starting, so I got pretty acquainted with those around me.  The rain would slow down for a bit and then pick back up.  We finally got out of the buses around 7:30 and starting running.  I was feeling great!  The rain had slowed down and I was very glad.  The first 2 miles were pretty nice, and then the mosquitos starting to get thick.  It was pretty bad.  I had to run with my face looking to the side so that I wouldn't eat them.  I did get one in my throat and almost vomited.  I really was dreading that, but they were gone by about mile 5.  I was still feeling great at that point!  I was keeping my pace, trying not to run faster than I had trained.  The rain started to pick up a little around mile 7 and by mile 8, it was pouring again.  The wind was really going too, which made for a miserable couple of miles.  I really struggled at that point, but my body was feeling strong so I was okay.  When I got to mile 10, I was feeling positive.  I had less than a 5k left!  Then, I don't know if it was because I separated from all of the other runners around me, or if it was just the freezing cold weather and my soaking wet clothes, but I hit a wall.  I was still running, not feeling any physical pain really, but I was really struggling with those final couple of miles.  I kept telling myself to be patient and that I was accomplishing a big goal. 

Finally, I saw where the road turned towards the finish line and I got really pumped!  I knew my family was going to be there waiting, and that really pushed me to keep going.  I saw my mom, Mary and Erin running towards me with Olivia first.  Of course, I started bawling.  This was probably pretty ugly because I was crying, but trying to smile, and I looked like a drowned rat.  I can't WAIT to see the pictures. :)  But I was so excited to see my little girl.  Then I saw Kacee and Alex, then Dave taking pictures of me getting closer to the finish line.  Then, my in laws, also taking pictures.  I didn't even see the clock as I came across the line, I was still fighting back tears and trying to smile.  I walked over to the volunteers and they put the medal around my neck.

... I did it!  I had trained for months and finally, just like that, it was over.  I picked up all of my post race goodies, chugged some water, and then went to meet my family.  It was so good to finish something so hard and to have the people I love waiting for me at the end.  I was SUPER sore.  My body was so cold and numb, and my knees were aching.  I was immediately nauseous, like I always am after runs.  Then we went to IHOP for brunch.

All in all, I think it was a pretty successful first time.  The weather was HORRIBLE and the bugs weren't fun, but I think I made the best decisions I could during the race.  I stopped at just about every aid station for Gatorade or water.  I even ate a banana at one of the stations.  I had Swedish Fish in my runners pack and I ate a few every time I felt hungry or like I needed energy.  I used the bathroom three or four times before the race started, so I didn't have to go at all during, which was awesome.  I listened to Pandora the whole time, like I always do, and I kept my pace pretty steady.  I finished in 2:30:37, according to the official time tracker.  That's about an average of 11:29 per mile.  That's about what I trained at so I'm happy.  I feel like that is a good time for my first.  Other than the final two miles, I really enjoyed the run and think I would like to do more!  Hopefully, not in the pouring rain again.


This is Mary, Erin, My Mom and Livvy running with me





No comments:

Post a Comment